Saturday, November 12, 2011

Colic or Reflux?

When Brinlee was born, she was such an easy baby (for the most part). She cried when she was hungry and slept a LOT. At 2 weeks old, that all changed. She became fussy all the time and would scream bloody murder at the top of her lungs. Since we had figured out the week before that she wasn't getting enough to eat, we knew that wasn't the problem...it had to be something else!! At her 10 day appointment, I brought it up to her pediatrician, Dr. Owens. He said that because she had only been on the formula for about a week, it was too early to tell if that was the problem, and to give it another 2 weeks until her 1 month checkup. So I did. It was the longest 2 weeks. It seemed like when she wasn't sleeping or eating, she was crying or fussing. It was funny and sad at the same time, but she would grunt and push and hold her breath until she was red in the face like she was trying to poop!! I thought she was constipated, but that was NOT the problem. That child had more poopy diapers, and they definitely were not solid!! After feeding Brinlee, I would have a really hard time burping her and it would take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to get anything out of her. She would always scare herself if it came out the bottom end!!

Anyway, at her 1 month appointment I brought it up again about her fussiness. Keep in mind, I'd brought this up at her weight check following her 5 day appointment, then again at her 10 day appointment, and now at her 1 month appointment. At this point, I'm no longer the "over-reactive" mom. Something is obviously wrong with my baby. So when I suggested colic or acid reflux, I was told that all babies have some form of colic, and she didn't have any of the symptoms of reflux. I thought that was a bunch of crap because I had done my research and talked with several other moms, and she had plenty of signs of both. But he was the doctor, and I didn't feel comfortable questioning him. He said she was gaining weight and was right at or doing slightly better than expected, and that wanted her back the next week for another weight check. I left feeling so defeated, and like there was no light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't know what to do!! I had to tough it out for another week with an incredibly fussy baby, who at this point, is no longer sleeping during the day. I was tired, worn out, and at my wits end....

Fast forward to the next appointment. Dr. Owens was in China on vacation, so I met with Dr. Weinburg (who we had seen at her 5 day appointment). I brought up the fussiness and not sleeping AGAIN, and I guess he thought that because Brinlee was there for a weight check, that that was all he had time for. He told me to go on the "Jesus diet", cutting out all dairy, spicy foods, green, leafy veggies, etc. Basically a bread and water diet. How am I supposed to figure out what she has a reaction to? He also said to switch her formula to Similac sensitive. Other than that, he didn't know what to tell me. I was being blown off!! I was so mad when I left that appointment. I just couldn't believe it! I knew there was something wrong, and no one would listen to me.About 2 days later, I'd finally had it. I called and made an appointment with Dr. Owens as soon as he was available. I was going to have to wait another week, but I didn't care. I wanted some answers, and I was going to get them! I guess Mama Bear was coming out. I hated to see Brinlee in pain when she cried, and be so gassy with no results. It broke my heart!

The week of the appointment, my mom came to stay with me and help out. I was so thankful she was there, because I wasn't sure how much more I could take. Looking back, I needed help, but at the time I just didn't realize it. She cleaned my house, did our laundry and put it away, fed Brinlee, and babysat for Jared and I so we could go to dinner on our anniversary. It was such a nice week!! Mom went with me to our appointment, and helped me remember things to bring up to Dr. Owens because I was so frazzled by the time I went in, I knew I would forget something (even with the list I had).

I went over everything with him....told him how Brinlee was not sleeping during the day, that she would just wear herself out to the point of exhaustion and even then, wouldn't go to sleep. How I had staph and would it affect her. How she just fussed constantly and always seemed like she was trying to push something out. Her feeding schedule was so erratic, and she would cluster feed some days, but not others. I wanted to know how to get a baby on a schedule that wouldn't sleep during the day. I had a whole list. He patiently listened to everything, asked some questions, and then finally told me she had colic. In my mind, colic means there's something wrong, but we don't know what, so you'll just have to tough it out. His solution was that she would grow out of it around 3-4 months, try and extend her feedings to every 2.5 - 3 hours, and to make friends so I could get out of the house during the day. Seriously? That's all you have for me? I left there feeling even worse about our situation. I almost wished she had reflux so at least there would be a solution.

That afternoon, I had a chiropractor appointment. So Mom babysat for me while I went. It was nice to get out for a little while by myself and just BREATHE. I was sitting in the waiting room talking with the ladies behind the desk, waiting to go to one of the rooms. They asked how Brinlee was, and I told them that she had been "diagnosed" with colic earlier that morning. One of them asked if I had ever thought of having her adjusted. Well, of course not...why in the world would I get my 6 week old adjusted? ARE YOU CRAZY? She told me to talk to Dr. Stringer about it, and just see what he had to say. Now, while I was pregnant, this was something we had talked about, but only briefly, and usually about his kids. So when I went back, this was the first thing I brought up. I told him about Brinlee having colic, and he talked with me about the pros of having her adjusted. He said that colic has been linked to a "kink" in the thoracic vertebrae, and that it worked for some babies, and not for others. I gave him the 3rd degree, asking if he adjusted his kids (he has since the day they were all born), how many babies did he adjust, did it hurt, how would he adjust her and were there any cons? In my head, I'm thinking she would be adjusted like me. Snapped, crackled and popped, head turned in funny directions, and God knows what. Instead, he showed me a little tool he would use that pops the spine back into place. I had him pop it on my hand to see if it hurt - it didn't. After quizzing him for about 10 minutes, I made up my mind that I was going to bring Brinlee in the next day. I trusted Dr. Stringer, and I knew he wouldn't do anything to hurt my baby.

The next day, I loaded a screaming baby up and we headed out the door to her appointment. Dr. Stringer had me sit in a chair holding her while he felt her spine. He had her turn her head one way, and then the other. Sure enough, there was a spot in her upper spine that didn't move when she turned her head to the right. He even let me feel it. He ended up adjusting her upper and lower spine, and atlas. She cried for about 5 seconds, but I think it's because the sound of the little contraption scared her more than anything. She's a tough little girl already!

Now, I know this is something that is controversial, and some of you are thinking "how could you do this?". But hear me out. Brinlee is a totally different baby. Night and day difference. Starting that day, her hungry cry changed. It was no longer the blood curdling scream. She would let out a semi-loud scream and then whimper some, then another little scream, and so on. That was the first difference. That night, I had no problems putting her down to sleep. Brinlee has since been adjusted 2 more times, and I'm telling you, she is such a joy now! She no longer fusses AT ALL (unless she's hungry or tired - normal baby stuff), she will take at least one nap during the day, and she's sleeping for 4-6 hour stretches at night. Jared and I enjoy her so much more now, and aren't afraid of her waking up.

Again, I know this is something that not everyone will agree with. If you had asked me 2 months ago if I would ever have my newborn adjusted, I would have said absolutely not. But I am so thankful I did. She's such a happy baby now!!!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I'm so glad you found something that works! I have no experience taking a baby to the chiropractor but I've heard from other moms before that it helped their babies. You do whatever you can to help your baby feel better!

    ReplyDelete